Postpartum anger and rage is experienced by many new moms
Experiencing postpartum anger and rage is more common than many may think.
70-80% of the women I see for postpartum depression, describe emotions ranging from strong irritability to extreme rage, with some experiencing intrusive thoughts of harming themselves or their child.
I’m grateful to be able to offer women a natural and safe solution to help bring their whole system back into balance, gently and naturally. For women looking for a safe and chemical free therapy, homeopathy can be just what is needed to recover from postpartum depression, anxiety, ANGER and RAGE.
The uncontrollable angry and rageful emotions are extremely frightening, confusing, and disturbing to the women I meet in my practice. Rather than finding themselves in a blissful postpartum bubble, as is often the idea many have of what the postpartum period should be like; feelings of shame, guilt, fear, and deep despair, is the prevailing state these women find themselves living in.
Due to fear, stigma, and in some cases believing they are the only one’s reacting they way they are; those who experience postpartum rage often don’t share their thoughts and feelings with others. They may well question whether they truly love there baby, that they are simply unfit to be a mom, that something is fundamentally wrong with them, and that their baby would be better off without them. There is generally a lot of negative self talk, with a sense of hopelessness, deep depression, and often thoughts of wanting to get away from it all.
What my patients say:
- “I feel like a volcano that is about to erupt. Red hot lava that is about to overflow.”
- “It’s like an explosion about to happen. I can’t control it.”
- “I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I never used to be like this before I had the baby, I’m a nice person, but now every little thing sets me off.”
- “I feel short with everyone. I snap at my baby, the kids and my husband. I have to leave the house or I’m afraid of what I might do.”
- “I either cry or feel rage. I go between feeling so so sad to screaming and yelling. It changes so fast, I’m out of control.”
- “I do everything wrong. This is not how I thought it would be. Everyone would be better off without me.”
- I’m exhausted all the time. I don’t get any sleep. I know she’s just a baby, but I can’ think straight, so tired and it makes me feel extremely angry.”
- I feel the anger building and rising…I have to release it…I go to another room or outside and sob or just scream into a pillow.”
If you recognize yourself in any of the above statements, know you are not alone in feeling anger and rage as part of your postpartum depression. These emotions are experienced by many new mothers, and there is help of recovering, and get back to how you used to feel.
How can I get better?
I have been in practice as a classical homeopath for the past 15 years, and treated a great number of women suffering from postpartum depression, anxiety and rage. If you would like to avoid antidepressants, and instead treat your symptoms in a gentle, safe, effective way, homeopathy might be a good choice for you.
I use homeopathic medicines, prescribed for the individual, and her specific symptoms and experience. We may share the same “diagnostic label”, but experience our symptoms in our own unique way. The way you experience your anger or rage is likely very different than somebody else. Therefor; the remedy that will help you feel better needs to be matched specifically to you, your symptoms, expression and health history.
Nina contacted me when her fist born was 3 months old. Since the birth of her son, she had felt completely exhausted, and constantly going between feeling overwhelmingly sad or very angry. She was a sweet, caring and wonderful person who had wanted her baby more than anything, and was completely distraught by what had happened to her postpartum.
“I don’t know who this person is, I am not like this, I’m a nice person. I hate feeling this way, but I can’t help it. I just want to sleep all the time, I have no energy or desire to take care of my baby, but of course I do it. I hide my feelings from him, but inside I feel full of rage and just want to run away. I think both my baby and my husband would be better off if I wasn’t around”.
Nina received a total of 3 doses of homeopathic Phosphoric acid over a period of 5 months. This remedy was prescribed based on Nina’s general symptom picture; pregnancy, birth and postpartum history taken into account. Nina’s energy returned, and her mood stabilized quite rapidly on this remedy. After 5 months of seeing me once monthly, she felt she was back to her old self, and no further treatment was needed.
Taking care of you!
When starting homeopathic treatment, I encourage my patients to try an implement some, or all of the points mentioned below; whatever they think they can manage.
- Talk to someone about how you feel.
- Seek help from your partner, family and friends so you are able to catch up on some much needed sleep.
- Take a little time away for yourself.
- Getting a little exercise, a short walk or a few minutes of yoga practice goes a long way.
- Practicing mindfulness and breathing techniques.
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Eating a whole foods diet, preferably organic, staying away from processed foods and sugar as much as possible.
- Be kind and gentle with yourself. You deserve it! If you would not say something to your partner or your best friend, why would you say those things to yourself?
After starting homeopathic treatment, most patients experience a reduction in their symptoms quite quickly, before gradually making a complete recovery, usually within a few months time.
I work international via video call (Skype and other options), making homeopathic treatment available to anyone, regardless of where you live and from the comfort of your own home.
Please get in touch for a 15 minute complimentary consultation to find out if you would like to work with me.